Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Apricots and Recollections

Today:
I am eating a bag of dried apricots at 9.50 AM, and I realize that I haven’t written on my blog for over a month. I freeze, the leathery button of fruit half-eaten between my thumb and forefinger.

What to write about?

Maybe I need to write about the swimming in the Danube last Thursday, its frigid, brown water closing over my head as I dive in, ahhhhhh!!!! gasping and spitting out flecks of ancient water, feeling deliciously patronized by this old, unimpressed river. The Donau has seen its fair share of foreign idiots jumping in and out on warm autumn days, so my white legs and streaming eyes were nothing new to her; but she was new to me, and I laughed and skipped rocks, feeling impudent in the newness of my first European swim.

Or about the smell this morning when I stumbled across the living room and into the bathroom (watch out for sleeping cats, they’re like furry landmines; especially Chou Chou, the one who speaks German and won’t let me pet her)—it reminded me of autumn mornings at the Fryeburg Fair, and electric blue skies and orange leaves and Dad making apple crisp late at night. I stood in the kitchen with cold bare feet on the wooden floor and breathed in deeply: cinnamon and apples and autumn. Apfelstrudel. Frau Panzenböck is a genius, an easy-smiling Martha Stewart, and I dance down the outdoor hallway, electric in anticipation.

Or maybe talking with Franz, my host brother, as we walked home after a brief two hour stint at the rock gym that left us both weak and somewhat discouraged. Walking next to him, I’m surprised about how tall he actually is—maybe six and a half feet? (And how many centimeters is that? My European conversions are still greatly lacking.) He is wearing his enormous army coat and his dreds are in a ponytail, still reaching past his shoulders. And he’s talking about the government. “I hate all politicians,” he says, “all they do is talk talk talk talk talk. And does anything actually happen? No!” I suggest that maybe politicians do more than we can do in areas that we can’t affect—schools, hospitals, etc. He laughs. “Sure, sure, that’s what they say. But people can take care of each other much better than one person can take care of all of us. We don’t need politics.” Ten minutes later, I almost give up. “Franz, do you even vote?”
He grins. “Of course. Last time, I voted for the communist party. A whole .02 percent of the country was on my side.”

So yes, Austria is a place for me now, with cold rivers, apfel strudels, and communist brothers. Could I ask for anything else?

On second thought, maybe more apricots, I’m almost out. :)
Happy Tuesday, all.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're having such a great time. We all love and miss you. Keep posting.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you were eating dried fruit! Has Vienna converted you? And I'm glad its so wonderful. The Danube sounds lovely. I don't think I'd even be willing to stick my little toe in the Thames. It's disgusting--London's former sewer system. :) Keep writing, please. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Yes! Yes! I go to your blog almost every day . . . hoping . . . just hoping . . . that maybe I will be treated to your wonderful writing and way of capturing what I can tell is an amazing experience. And today . . . YEAH!!! Keep writing. We love reading about your adventures. Our own AMERICAN IN VIENNA!!! The movie will be amazing too!

    Hugs!

    --Uncle Ken

    P.S. We had a WONDERFUL evening with our family last Sunday. Great food! They've turned into full-blown vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrified that if you ever got a paper cut, you would bleed brilliance, beautifully calligraphed drops of blood. I loved this piece, especially the river being new to you and cats like furry land mines.

    I could say that I'm jealous of your experience - which is true
    of I could say that I'm envious of your words - which is more true

    Please keep both eyes open and please please keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie Hawkes. I read your writing and my heart soars because everything is right in the world. There is art and there is beauty and there are brilliantly structured words that brilliantly capture brilliant moments--moments that are so universal while still being so foreign.

    In your craft and in your new home, you belong.

    Please keep painting us post cards with your words.

    ReplyDelete