Sunday, May 9, 2010

What a Babe.


Happy Mom Day Everyone!

Today in church, while Bismark was describing Ghanaian tooth fairy traditions, I started thinking about my mom.

Her name is Karen.

Isn't she a babe?

(Photocredit to my amazing Aunt Jen--check out her amazing blog.)


I could write Tolstoy-sized volumes on my mom without scrabbling for ideas. She is, in a word, stunning.


So, sitting in church, I did what I did best and began to make lists. And, while it is certainly sub-Tolstoy sized, it is still worth sharing because it IS mother's day and she IS an amazing, amazing person. So here goes:


(ahem) The Qualities I Hope to Inherit From My Gorgeous Mother:

  • Goal setting: My mom is the world champ, no joke.
  • Money matters!
  • The quality of never being satisfied, in the best possible way. Mom is always looking for ways to improve, to stretch herself. She is always searching for excellence.
  • a knowledge and love of the scriptures
  • SO. MUCH. ENERGY.
  • In her free time, Mom hangs out with her family! (Good deal for us.)
  • ADVENTUROUSNESS! She rock climbs! Tries vegetarian adventures! Bikes! Moves to Boston! Runs a Boy Scout Camp! Sends her kids to far off lands! Wears interesting clothes! Marries an artist! (Is there anything she is afraid of?!?!)
  • She NEVER complains. Maybe she "constructs" on occasion, but never complains.
  • I have never heard my mom say anything bad about her family or children to anyone else. Ever. (WAA?!?! Isn't that crazy?!?!)
  • She doesn't care if flowers are particularly beautiful as long as they smell wonderful...aka she likes things that are useful. She's not a knick-knack person, but a utility/artistry woman. An amazing thing, really.
  • she has excellent taste in clothing
  • she loves and values education, and never backs down from an intellectual challenge. (Her response to why she studied medicine and chemistry in college: "Because it was the hardest thing I could find. I didn't want a 'just looking for marriage' major.")
  • She can raise good men.
  • She loves delicious food.
  • Wayyy spunky. (In the righteous sense)
  • She has a burning testimony of the gospel.
  • She loves, values, and defends motherhood.
  • She has vision. (A favorite T-shirt of hers: "Dorothy had the shoes, but she didn't have the vision. Take the controls: Women Fly.")
What an amazing person! What an amazing mother! What an amazing precedent!

What a babe!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Your mother is one of the most remarkable women I know, and she is a woman that I love, admire, and respect beyond measure.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute to her.
    With love,
    Aunt Linda
    PS. She can raise good women, too: ) You are like her in so many ways

    ReplyDelete